Summary of Reading for Unit 2
While I was reading the assigned chapters, a sentence stood out to me, “understanding a new field usually requires us to learn a new vocabulary” (Ramage p76). That sentence stayed with me through the reading because that is what I feel like I am doing through this course, “learning a new vocabulary”. Maybe I am seeing this through open eyes now as I was not before. I am not sure, but it seems all new to me. I did not think I had any problems being a part of an argument. I did not realize so many things needed to happen in order to create a successful argument. I am sure I had a very confused look on my face as I was reading page 73. Just go look at the page; it looks like someone misplaced some of their p’s and q’s. I said to myself, with a sigh, “well, this should be an interesting reading assignment”. We all know the saying, “to assume things makes as ass out you and me”, well that is what chapter 4 made me think of. If the writer and the audience do not share the same assumptions, their conversation is going to have problems. A successful argument or conversation cannot take place if the underlying assumptions are not understood by both parties. This brings us to the enthymeme, this word comes from the Greek word “en” which means “in” and “thumos” comes from “mind”. “Listeners or readers must have “in mind” an assumption, belief, or value that lets them willingly supply the missing premise” (Ramage p75). Ok, so I have given you information from the book, but do you understand it, I am still waiting for my brain to fully comprehend what I just read.
As I continue on in my reading, I come across chapter 5 which addresses “STAR”. “Sufficiency: Is there enough evidence?” “Typicality: Is the chosen evidence representative and typical?” “Accuracy: Is the evidence accurate and up-to-date?” “Relevance: Is the evidence relevant to the claim?” (Ramage p90). Reading the details to each of these, made it easier for me to understand what is needed to make an argument or conversation persuasive. Maybe I need acronyms to remember what I read and help me understand the context. The assigned chapters where semi intimidating for me at first, but hopefully I am starting to understand what I am doing here.
Work Cited
Ramage, John D., John C. Bean, and June Johnson. Writing Arguments: a Rhetoric with Readings. New York: Pearson Longman, 2010. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment