Unit 1- Blog – Writing is like…
To me, writing is like working out, you never want to start, but once you do it is not that bad and depending on your level of workout your outcome will be different. I have to get motivated to start writing a paper, much like I have to talk my lazy booty off the couch to work out. Once I get my topic and decide which direction my paper will go, I get into it and just kind of roll with it. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying I am a super strong writer or anything; I have my issues, much like others, I get frustrated with things like, where the hell does that dreaded comma go, or when do I use a semi-colon, when is something supposed to be hyphenated? My Mom tells me that I write like I talk. Well, isn’t that the point, you want what you write to be easy to read and understand. She tells me when she is reading emails from me, which I write her daily while at work, she feels as though I am just talking to her on the phone. I believe I do that a lot while I am writing papers too. I love to talk, I have been told I talk a lot and I do not deny it, what is sad, is my three year old is the same way, she never stops, ever. For me to write like I talk, I would think that would be a good thing because I talk a lot…wrong, I tend to babble which I am sure I will end up doing for this blog. Sorry in advance.
I work at a Law Firm, so I have to write a lot of legal documents and emails to attorneys, doctors and inner office emails, as well as some personal ones that are probably frowned upon, much like I am doing this paper at work right now! Shh. For work I have to write a lot of things that sound like a bunch of gibberish to some people, often it even sounds that way to me and I am the one writing it. Sometimes my writing style for work will spill over into my personal emails and leaves the recipient confused and thinking I am “trying” to sound smart. I think my writing style for these classes I am taking is somewhere in the middle.
I will be the first to admit, my writing in high school, was, um… not very good. I was all about just getting something on the paper so I could get back to talking with my friends. I was not the best student in high school and boy did I pay for that later. I see now, that I can in fact write a decent paper if I put my mind to it and actually apply myself, unlike I did in high school. My parents tried to tell me, you better pay attention or you will never learn it, boy were they right. I honestly cannot remember anything from my high school English class, nothing. How sad is that? It was only about 9.5 years ago, but still you would think I would remember something. You know that babbling I was telling you about, well you just witnessed it. I tend to ramble, I do not know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but I continue to do it. This is my second English class since high school and I think I am doing ok with it, hopefully.
When someone mentions to me that I need to write a paper or if I am reading the course outline of what we are required to do and we have to write 3 papers, I am not going to lie, I get a little intimidated about having to accomplish this task. I think to myself, oh crap, what if it sucks, how I will start the paper, what my main points will be, how it will end. Sometimes, I find myself worried that it will be horrible so I put it off to the last minute and then I am stressed because I have to pull a six page paper out of my… in one day. Yup, that is me, the procrastinator, sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. I try to get better and not leave things until the last minute, but stuff happens, I just hope my babbling and rambling pays off in the end!
I can definitely relate to your style of writing, especially the procrastination part. I am so bad about putting my assignments off until the very last minute and it is not because of the daunting task of writing – I don’t mind writing at all, I just have more of a problem with the beginning and how to start my paper. Once I start my paper, the rest just seems to flow but the beginning is the worst part for me. Also, like you, I have experience in working in the legal field. I worked at a law firm for nine years and sometimes felt like more of a lawyer than their assistant. I wrote a lot of our pleadings myself and then the attorneys would make the necessary editing. I too felt like my work was spilling over into my personal life in terms of writing. I would find myself using legal terms that didn’t make sense if you didn’t know the meanings to them so I would have to really watch myself and make sure that I was saying exactly what I meant without the legal jargon. Attorneys have a way of rubbing off on you with their extremely descriptive ways of writing sometimes writing a two page document when it could have easily been explained in one paragraph. So, I can relate to your writing because it is much like mine. It has its advantages and disadvantages but so far, this way of writing has worked for me. Great blog!
ReplyDelete